Strategies & Tools to Maximize Employee Engagement in the 2022 Elections
Why Civic Engagement?
Why are employers such effective channels for supporting voters?
You can remove barriers to civic engagement
Work commitments consistently rank as a top obstacle to voting.
You are a trusted messenger
"My employer" continues to rank as the world's most trusted institution by far over government and media.
You have the communication structures already in place
Corporate channels provide the most consistent platform for consuming information across an increasingly complex - and biased - media ecosystem.
How can companies benefit from corporate civic engagement?
Demonstrates commitment to your corporate values
Getting out the vote underscores your commitment to your values.
Creates a more engaged workforce
Civic engagement provides a measurement of an overall engaged workforce
Aligns with your business goals
Supports a vibrant democracy, which is good for the business climate
Putting It Into Practice
7 strategic actions for helping employees vote
1. Share nonpartisan, actionable resources and reminders
2. Start sharing early so employees trust you as a resource
3. Celebrate Election Day and Civic Holidays as company holidays
4. Hold registration drives and add registration reminders
5. Highlight volunteer opportunities, like working at the polls
6. Provide flexible “Civic Hours,” such as time off to vote*
7. Make the experience fun, social and celebratory
Join nearly the nearly 2000 companies making sure employees don't have to choose between earning a paycheck and voting.
*Time To Vote is a nonpartisan movement, led by the business community, to contribute to the culture shift needed to increase voter participation in our country's elections. Participation includes giving employees access to and information about early voting or vote-by-mail options, offering paid time off on Election Day or making it a day without meetings.
Digital tools for elevating civic engagement at your company
There are a number of tools to maximize your employee civic engagement that works for your company culture, your existing platforms, and your goals. The tools below can help you save time, run a more engaging program, and make a larger, measurable impact.
Presenter: Jess Riegel, email@example.com
Motivote’s mission is to empower businesses, nonprofits and colleges to run high-impact voter engagement programs that help people navigate the voting process.
Backed by behavioral science, Motivote's registration-to-turnout journey proven to increase follow-through with the same "nudge" strategies that help us go to the gym, save money, and learn new skills.
- Walk voters through the end-to-end voting journey
- Keep it fun and social with gamification & real-life rewards
- Customized platform, fully aligned with your visual brand & voice
Presenter: Alex Niemczewski, firstname.lastname@example.org
CivicEngine by BallotReady provides a one-stop shop for voting information: we make it easy for voters to register, learn about all the candidates on their ballot, sign up to vote by mail, and find their dropoff location or polling place.
- Meaningful employee engagement: whether your customers and employees are first-time voters or politicos, we make it easy for them to level-up their civic engagement
- Local and evergreen: our platform includes primaries and local elections throughout the year so there’s always a way for voters everywhere to take action
- Research-based best practices: ask us about our case studies with brands like Snap, CBSViacom, Tiktok, and Spotify
Presenter: Laurie Lenninger, email@example.com
VoteAmerica builds technology and programs to help turnout tens of millions of voters. Their mission is to provide people with trusted election information, open-source technology and robust education programs to expand the electorate, increase turnout and strengthen US democracy.
- A robust toolset that allows partners to incorporate impactful turnout programs into already-existing customer & employee workflows.
- Tools for every step of the voting process: Register, Verify, Absentee Request, Polling Place Finder, Ballot Tracker and Voter Helpline.
- Thorough election data API w/ 100+ data points per state of election rules, deadlines, and requirements.
- Learn more about:
Note: The above resources are intended to offer a representative overview of civic engagement and voter resource offerings. It is not a comprehensive list of all offerings available. All featured resources are nonpartisan tools that provide information on voting. They are not affiliated with any parties or candidates.
Do you have suggestions, additions, or feedback for our Resource Guides? Get in touch!